Suggested Literary Works for Students
Books Especially For or About Children...
- Ammon, Richard. Growing Up Amish. New York:: Macmillan, 1990
- Ammon, Richard. An Amish Christmas. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1996
- De Angeli, Marguerite. Henner's Lydia. Garden City, N.Y..: Doubleday, 1937.
- De Angeli, Marguerite. Yonie Wondernose. Garden City, NY: Doubleday,
- Foster, Sally. Where Time Stands Still . New York : Dodd, Mead, 1987
- Good, Merle. Reuben and the Fire. Intercourse, Pa.: Good Books, 1993.
- Hostetler, John A., and Gertrude E. Huntington. Amish Children: Education in the Family, School, and Community. New York: Holt Rinehart Winston, 1992.
- Hostetler, John A., and Gertrude E. Huntington, Children in Amish Society. New York: Exposition Press, 1971.
- Israel, Fred. Meet the Amish. New York : Chelsea House, 1986.
- Meyer, Carolyn. Amish People: Plain Living in a Complex World. New York:. Atheneum, 1977
- Mitchell, Barbara. Down Buttermilk Lane. New York.: Lathrop, Lee and Shepard books, 1993.
- Pellman, Phyllis. Amish Cooking for Kids. Intercourse, Pa.: Good Books, 1994
- Polacco, Patricia. Just Plain Fancy. New York: Bantam Doubleday Dell, 1990.
- Naylor, Phyllis Reynolds. An Amish Family. New York: Lamplight Publishing, 1974
- Steffy, Jan. The School Picnic. Intercourse, Pa.: Good Books, 1987
- Yoder, Carolyn P. Cobblestone: The History Magazine for
- Young People. November 1987 issue devoted to the Amish
- Yoder, Joseph W. Rosanna of the Amish. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald
Film & Television
- The Amish, A people of Preservation. Educational video, produced by Heritage Productions, Inc. Two editions, 28 minutes and 53 minutes. Available from Heritage Productions, Inc., 1191 Summytown Pike, Harleysville PA 19438.
Sociological and Historic Reference Materials
- Bender, Sue. Plain and Simple: A Woman's Journey to the Amish. New York: Harper & Row, 1989.
- Fisher, Sara E. and Rachel K. Stahl. The Amish School. Intercourse, PA:Good Books, 1986
- Good, Merle, and Phyllis Good. Twenty Most Asked Questions about the Amish and Mennonites. Lancaster Pa: Good Books, 1979.
- Granick, Eve Wheatcroft. The Amish Quilt. Intercourse, Pa: Peoples Place, 1989
- Hostetler, John A.,ed. Amish Life, 2nd ed. Scottsdale, Pa: Herald Press, 1983
- Hostetler, John A.,ed. Amish Roots: A Treasury of History, Wisdom and Lore. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1989.
- Hostetler, John A. Amish Society, Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1993
- Kline, David. Great Possessions: An Amish Farmer's Journal. San Francisco: North Point Press, 1990
- Kraybill, Donald B. The Riddle of Amish Culture. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1989
- Lapp, Henry. A Craftsman's Handbook Introduction and Notes by Beatrice B. Garvan. Philadelphia: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1975.
- Niemeyer, Lucian, photographs; text by Donald B. Kraybill. Old Order Amish: Their Enduring Way of Life. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1993.
- Scott, Stephen. The Amish Wedding and Other Special Occasions of the Old Order Communities. Intercourse, Pa.: Good Books, 1988
- Scott, Stephen, and Kenneth Pelman. Living Without Electricity. Intercourse, Pa.: Good Books, 1990.
- Smith, C. Henry. The Mennonite Immigration to Pennsylvania. Norristown, Pa.: Pennsylvania German Society, 1929.
- Testa, Randy Michael-Testa. After the Fire: The Destruction of the Lancaster County Amish. Hanover: New Hampshire: New England University Press, 1992.
- Warner, James A. and Donald M. Denlinger. The Gentle People: A Portrait of the Amish. Lancaster, Pa.: Stl-Mar 1982
- Yoder, Doyle Yoder and Leslie A. Kelly. America's Amish Country. Berlin.Ohio: American's Amish Country Publications, 1993. A book of photography.